Friday, May 15, 2009

Green and White...

...are not AIM AIR's colors. Nor are they Samaritan's Purse or SIM's colors. It just so happens that they are the colors of the primer and paint we've been using. Right now the airplane is all just a bunch of white pieces...we joked about just writing SIM in big block letters on the side and the bottom like the UN planes here. Sorry I don't have too many pictures of painting, as I was helping Jose do the fuselage and then I did the wings, both things with the help of Jerry and Paul. We've got a lot accomplished. I totally have a new found respect for Jose and the painting that he does...it's HARD! After doing the fuselage on Monday and the wings on Wednesday, I was beat. Jose has to be the man to do all the stuff he's done before...

Anyway, here's some pictures of painting...


The freshly painted fuselage.


Caleb sanding some parts so they could get some white paint. Caleb is leaving this Sunday (May 17th) for his home leave...it's been great working with him and I wish him the best during his journeys. Maybe he'll be back by the time we head out for our home leave. If not, I guess we'll be like ships passing in the night...


Parts and pieces with new white paint.


Man, what a dorky white boy! There's a reason for looking this dumb, though...I was painting with my coveralls on and I usually get hot with pants on, too, so I wore my shorts and a cutoff t-shirt. The Kenyan guys laughed at me, though. Hey, note the MAI shirt, though...that's a collector's item now!



Green wings...they're actually white now, I just forgot to take a picture before I left today. This was my first real paint project that I had to do pretty much by myself (with Jerry and Paul's assistance on the lights and air hoses). Like I said before, it's HARD! You have to throw enough paint that it looks nice and shiny, but not enough to make runs...well, that's a really touchy area to be in. I ended up with a few runs, but I think overall it was a good first attempt.

No comments: