Friday, January 16, 2009

Replacing some skin...

So finally we've been able to actually install the new skin in the belly of the tail section of N4790U. It's been sitting inside the plane for about 2 months. I had removed the old piece and then match drilled and cut the new piece. So I fitted it in, and Caleb and I shot all the rivets. It was a long and tedious job, because I was way back into the tail section of the airplane on my belly...most uncomfortable. I think Caleb had the better job...he got to lie on his back on a cushioned platform with a pillow under his head! I guess he did have to hold the rivet gun over his head, so that was a little tiring...

Anyway, here's some pictures from the past few days:



Where I was for about 2 days.


Behold, the magic bucking bar! Courtesy of a sheetmetal project at A&P school at MAI.
Who's that scary guy?! Peeping out the elevator bellcrank inspection panel at Caleb.


Aagghh!! That's even scarier! What Caleb was blessed to be seeing from his position.

What I saw looking toward the front of the plane. That's the two new guys, Caleb on left and Nate Killoren on right. Makes sense, right, since this will be a SIM plane...

Nate Killoren, working his hands to the bone on the components behind the instrument panel. I wish I had a picture of his T-shirt...it says, "Coffee snob."

No comments: