Saturday, January 10, 2009

Another silver bullet...

We changed the left engine on the DC-3 this week. It was probably the hardest PT6 change that I have ever done. The Twin Otter is easier because the engine sits horizontal to the ground, whereas the DC-3, it has to be inserted at an angle. It also has four engine mounts as opposed to three mounts on the Twin Otters, King Air 90s, Caravans, etc. That's one of the differences in a large PT6 engine.

Anyway, it went pretty well. We did a few adjustments and rigging Friday afternoon and are planning to do a test flight on Monday. It will be the first time I have ever flown in a DC-3. Dad, I'm sure you're jealous.



Getting it ready to take off of the airplane.


Just taken off...me and Jose, the other SP mechanic.

Now that we have the engine change pretty much taken care of on the DC-3, I should be back to working on N4790U next week. Stay tuned for pictures.

No comments: