Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bumper sticker truth...

I recently received a new sticker in the mail from Dawn Williams, the wife of Ryan Williams, my buddy who died last year from injuries sustained in the Cessna 206 accident here in Nairobi.  He had this sticker on the side of his toolbox, and if you've seen the AIM Air video or brochure, you might recognize the sticker from pictures/screenshots in both.  I had asked her about the sticker (because I love stickers) and they finally showed up in the mail.  I'm stoked! 

The sticker is not only a reminder of my friend Ryan, but it is a true reminder of the Gospel.  Love really does win.  Look throughout life, your life, life as a whole.  Hatred gets you nowhere.  It's the same with a spiteful attitude, or a "mightier-than-thou" attitude, or a controlling attitude.  You lose all your friends, your possessions, everything.  Nobody wants to be around you.  Nobody wants to help you or provide things for you.  Heck, if you're mean/hateful towards your dog, he's not going to want to be around you, either.  But love...people like to be around other people that love them.  You sacrifice for those that you love.  You give of your time and your ability to provide for those whom you love.  You go out of your way to do special things for them, and if you are a loving person, others will do the same for you.  That's the story of the Gospel.  God loved us.  Humankind.  Individuals.  No matter what we think we can give to God, it never amounts to a hill of beans, because the Bible says that all of our works are like filthy rags, no matter how wonderful we might think they are.  But even though humans might hate God or not care about others, God cares for us.  He loves us.  He loved us enough to call us to Himself, to be in communion with Him.  But the only way that could happen was through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God's Son.  It is only through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ can we receive the full extent of God's love.

It does not matter how we live our life, if we don't have love.  The Bible says, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." (1 Cor 13:1-3)

Love wins. 



1 comment:

The Williams in Africa said...

My memory is so bad, I couldn't remember if I had sent it! Very excited about your post, well said. I have a 'Love Wins' and a Trout Tree sticker for my MI van. Wish you were here, I would ask you to stick them on my bumper for me! I keep up with your 'clock'. So glad it is moving and you might have your dark son soon. Chloe calls herself dark. I like that.