Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You know you live in Africa when... (Part Three)

...when you find a critter like this one in the bathroom of your hangar.  One of the janitor guys found this guy and called the guard, who then called me to come and "see an animal that's in the bathroom."  I don't know about you, but when they don't tell you what it is...that's cause for concern.  On the way to the bathroom, I finally got him to tell me he thought it was a squirrel; but you know what...we don't really have squirrels here in Nairobi much.  Anyway, I got to the bathroom and peeped around there corner and there was this little guy huddled in the corner trying to hide.  For those of you unfamiliar with African animals...it is a hyrax.  There are tree hyrax and rock hyrax; this guy is a bathroom hyrax.  :)  Interesting trivia - they are the closest living relative to the elephant.  Huh. 


1 comment:

Mark Sherman said...

Hey, I have seen one of those . . . at the zoo.